We eat food every day to live, supplying our body with sufficient nutrients and energy for daily activities. If we don’t eat enough or don’t have enough nutrients, the body will weaken and become ill. The food that we eat can be both healthy and unhealthy, but is it better to eat only healthy food? The following are five good reasons why you should start eating healthy now.
What is healthy food?
Healthy food is food that contains all five food groups including protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and fats. These are the nutrients and sources of energy that your body needs. Each food group has different benefits for your body. For example, protein such as milk, eggs, beans etc. replenishes muscles and promotes growth. Carbohydrates such as rice and starch give your body energy. Minerals from plants and vegetables boost the immune system while vitamins from fruits help with the excretory system. Fats from plants and animals keep your body warm and give energy to it.
5 reasons why you should start eating healthy
1. Good immune system. When your body has a good immune system, you tend to be strong and not get ill easily. You are ready for daily challenges.
2. Disease prevention. When you eat food that is good for your body in an appropriate portion size, you tend to be at lower risk of diseases such as coronary artery disease, cancer, diabetes etc.
3. Better digestive system. Eaten food is digested to give your body nutrients. For instance, eating high-fiber fruits helps improve the functioning of the digestive system and prevent constipation.
4. Anti-aging and protection against free radicals. Vegetables and fruits are packed with nutrients as well as antioxidants that can slow down the aging process.
5. Healing properties. Both cooked and raw vegetables, particularly herbs, have healing properties such as gotu kola, pepper, garlic, ginger etc.
These are the five reasons why you should start eating healthy today. For those with digestive, skin, and other health-related problems, it’s not too late to try switching to a healthy diet or food that contains all five food groups for better health.